I have been on a passionate hunt for some favorite recipes – perfecting my grandmother’s Texas chocolate sheet cake, striving to figure out the best way to fry chicken, and finding a reliable, easy, and delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe. I spent a good chunk of my free time this summer testing and tweaking recipes, my dad being the faithful guinea pig. And let me tell you, this recipe is straightforward, simple, and produces delicious cookies. This is definitely me new default, go-to recipe when asked to bring a dessert to a potluck or when just wanting to surprise people with a yummy treat.
The only downside to making any cookie recipe is the time. You will want the butter and eggs at room temperature – I typically set out my ingredients the night or first thing in the morning. Also, it’s best to bake using chilled cookie dough so I like to mix up all my ingredients and then stick the bowl in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
And now, without further ado…
Cast of Characters:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips (in my opinion, the more the better!)
- In a medium bowl, lightly mix together the flour, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until it’s smooth
- Add in the eggs and vanilla
- Gradually add in the flour mixture but be careful not to over mix – you’ll want to make sure the flour is mixed in but over mixing can cause the dough to be tough
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir with a spoon, once again being cautious to not over mix
- Place the dough in the fridge to chill
- While the dough is in the fridge, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper, nonstick mat, or spray with no stick spray
- When ready, scoop out the dough onto the lined baking sheet – I can usually get about 12 cookies on a sheet
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack or sheet of aluminum foil. And try not to eat them all at once 🙂
Download the PDF recipe here.
// Do you have a favorite go-to cookie or dessert recipe?