I received this basic drop scone recipe from A’s grandma a couple years back and truly love it – it is simple enough to whip up quickly in the morning before work but flexible and gracious enough to add in different things like berries or flax seed for a healthier alternative.
1 1/2 cup flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 TBS cold, unsalted stick of butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk (I used almond milk because that is what I had on hand but cow’s milk will work fine)
1/2 – 1 cup of berries (I used frozen mixed berries)
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Cube the butter and add it to the flour mixture. Cut it in with a pastry blender or two forks.
3. Add milk and berries, mixing just enough for all to be combined
4. Using a spoon or your hands, gather up balls of scones and drop onto a lined baking sheet
5. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 – 14 minutes. I usually take them out of the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes and then enjoy!
// We enjoy these for breakfasts several times a month – what’s your favorite go-to breakfast recipe?